Choosing a contractor to work on your home can be a daunting challenge. Here are a few tips to help you hire the right company and get good results.
- Ask your friends and relatives about their experiences with remodeling, and whom they have hired.
- Beware of contractors that advertise price. There is no way to 100% accurately estimate your project site unseen. A detailed on-site inspection is the only accurate way to truly estimate, and online quote is one way to get the ball rolling.
- Call the Contractors State License Board at 916-255-4041 and the Better Business Bureau at 858-496-2131 to get valuable information about remodeling…before you remodel.
- Do not choose a contractor only because they present the lowest price. If you are considering only the lowest bidder, beware! Quality of materials or workmanship shows. And, as the years go by, it shows even more.
- Everything must be in writing. It’s your right….. Demand it. A complete set of project specifications that you can understand is vital. Also, insist on a formal design plan. Without it, there is no way you can receive an accurate quote.
- Follow through. An important part of remodeling is the feeling of confidence with the people you will be working with. Remember salesman and designers do not hold hammers. Insist on meeting the Project Manager that will be responsible for your remodel. If your contractor doesn’t have a Project Manager… brace yourself and prepare for problems.
- Get references. Before you choose a contractor, call some of his customers that are presently under construction and clients whose work was completed within the past 3 years. Ask lots of questions. You might even ask if you can visit their project.
- Have patience. Do not be rushed into decisions. Take whatever time you need to feel completely comfortable with the contractor you choose.